Unfortunately there has been more delays in the INRF renovation project. The lab will not be fully re-opening Oct 31st but may see some partial opening in the coming weeks. We expect to have a better and more detailed update soon and will share with everyone as soon as we can.
What we know now is that by November 30th the lab will be fully operational. The main delay is coming from the final balancing and cleaning of the cleanroom, and some lengthy lead times on parts. We’re working hard to get users access to the most critical pieces of equipment ASAP. Depending on time-frames, the lab space may not be a proper clean-room environment until mid to late November, and any access to tools prior to Nov 30th must go through explicit permission from Staff due to the necessary co-ordination with renovation crew and facility availabilities for tools. Since the renovation won’t be complete when tool access is granted, we all need to work close together to schedule tool usage so as to ensure the equipment is okay to use and users in the lab space are safe to work.
The SPTS will be taken offline on 11/1/17 for the much needed PM. It is looking like the best estimate we have for the pump coming back will be approximately 12/11/17. A PM of the SPTS system itself, by an SPTS engineer, will need to be coordinated when the repaired pump returns and is installed back on the tool. As of now we’re hoping this will all be completed by end of December.
More details and updates will follow as and when available.
Notice to BiON and INRF Users who have stored chemicals:
There are numerous expired chemicals in both the INRF and BiON that belong to individuals and groups.
All expired chemicals will be disposed of on Thursday 10/26/17 unless the responsible individuals or groups co-ordinate otherwise with Richard Chang at email@example.com by 12pm Wednesday 10/25/17.
Please contact Richard by 12pm 10/25/17 if you don’t want to see your chemicals disposed of.
Since the INRF is closed due to the renovation, please also contact Richard to schedule any need to visit and check on the chemicals in person WITH him and DO NOT enter the INRF facility without staff supervision.
The SPTS will not be available between 11/6/17 and 12/11/17 as it is scheduled to undergo a much needed PM on both the system as well as the dry mechanical pump. The schedule has been posted on the Forged and further details and updates will also be updated there.
The DI water servicing the BiON has been restored.
This Post is on behalf of Gloria Mark:
INSF recruitment ad
Seeking participants for a study in understanding the workplace experience with sensors
We are seeking participants in state-of-the art research to understand workplace performance, health, and well-being through the use of unobtrusive sensors. This is part of an $8.1 million IARPA funded project. The goal of our study is to use a range of sensors and biosensors to gain a deep understanding of real world work so as to develop models and methods that can ultimately reduce workload and stress and improve work performance and employee health and well-being.
In this study, participants will be asked to wear a wearable device and will use software on their mobile device to measure a wide variety of performance indicators. Individuals’ data will be anonymized and aggregated to maintain privacy and no content will be collected or recorded. The study will take approximately three hours of participants’ time in total spread out over the entire study period of two months. Participants will receive $250 for successful participation.
Benefits for participation
The benefits for participation are substantial. Participants will learn factors that influence their workplace performance, stress, health and well-being. Participants will be part of cutting-edge research involving collaborations with top-tier university researchers.
- Participation will be for two months starting mid-October.
- Each participant will receive payment of $250.
- Each participant will be provided with a wearable device (Garmin Vivosmart) and 4 Bluetooth LE beacons (1 dot for a keychain, 1 dot for home, 1 dot at the desk, 1 dot in their backpack/briefcase).
- Participants will be asked to complete one-time a set of surveys on personality traits, sleep and health habits, stress, and job strain. This enables us to correlate sensor data with ground-truth measures.
- On a daily basis, participants will fill out short surveys, 1-3 minutes, to additionally serve as ground-truth assessments for daily measures.
- Participants will be asked to install several smartphone applications on their primary mobile device.
- Individuals may elect to drop out of the study at any time without penalty.
- Upon exit of the study, an individual may request to have all relevant information wiped from the study at no penalty to the user.
- Individuals may elect to opt-in or opt-out to certain portions subject to a minimum sensing suite.
- Remote and on-site support will be provided for those who need assistance.
The following instruments are provided through funding of the study:
- Garmin Vivosmart wearable device
- Smartphone agent (iOS, Android)
- Location, detection of whether someone is speaking without recording audio content and level of background noise – no identification of speaker nor audio content will be recorded; Proximity / context detection via location and nearby Bluetooth LE (BLE) beacons for detecting others and key locations
- Sensors for environmental data: temperature, pressure, ambient noise level, light levels.
Other data collection:
- Social Media (anonymized, for sentiment analysis)
- Infrequent probes lasting a few seconds (e.g. asking about mood) though such efforts will be strictly limited
- The following Data collection is OPT-IN
- Logging laptop usage (for productivity, workload measures); Content WILL NOT be recorded, only time-stamps of applications in active use.
- EMail, calendar (anonymized, only metadata, NO CONTENT)
- Email will be header only – from, to, cc, bcc, subject length, body length, attachment number, attachment length
- Calendar will include title length, location length, hashed location information, attendees, note length, dial-in information (present – yes or no)
- Internal Social Media: Yammer, Slack – metadata / anonymized IDs
- Eye tracking for mental workload measures
Mitre Corporation Testing and Evaluation teams will analyze anonymized privacy-preserved data streams to provide independent validation. These anonymized datasets are for internal use only and will not be made publicly available.
For further questions on how you can participate, please contact:
Professor Gloria Mark, Informatics: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ge Gao, Informatics: email@example.com
Krithika Jagannath: firstname.lastname@example.org
INSF recruitment ad
The DI water will be shut off Thursday and Friday this week 10/12 and 10/13 . Due to this, there is to be no wet processing/developing.
Reminder: There is no wet processing after-hours, which means after today there is no further wet processing until Monday 10/16/17.